Thursday, October 12, 2017

My Liberian God-Adventure: The Prologue

          Some journeys begin long before you leave. 

         This blog series started as a sermon that told of my recent trip to Liberia. I've adapted it a bit to fit a blog format, but I'm sure some of it still reads more like a sermon. This won't be like the previous blogs -- not the ones about literature, not even the travel entries about China. This one will be different. Everything about this trip has been different, so the way I share it will be, too.

          I’ve been teaching high school math ever since I graduated from college with a BS in Secondary English Education and an endorsement in math. I’ve taught Algebra I, Algebra II, AP Calculus, and behavior interventions for kids who are at risk of dropping out – all while acting as department chair the last four years for our nine-person team. While that timeline was moving forward, I also started attending Springfield First United Methodist Church – the big one on the corner of Koke Mill and Wabash, if you’re familiar with the city. For several years I sat in the back of the traditional service and kinda kept to myself – and then I started taking classes on prayer and served on the Staff Parish Relations Committee and then the Prayer Leadership Team, and then I got involved in the Young Adults ministry and started co-leading that, and then I helped launch a new contemporary service that we treated like a whole new church plant – and now I even preach in that service every couple of months or so. 
            I took a journey earlier this year. I’ve been calling it my God-adventure. On July 10, I flew to Monrovia, Liberia, with a team led by Bunny Wolfe, the mission and outreach coordinator for the Illinois Great Rivers Conference of the United Methodist Church. We spent two weeks there, and we held two trainings for teachers who work at United Methodist schools – over six days, the five of us American teachers worked with over 60 Liberian teachers on engagement strategies, classroom management, and lesson planning.
            But I’m getting ahead of myself. This journey didn’t start July 10. In fact, the seed was planted in 2012 when a friend of mine who is a United Methodist pastor told me that our conference sends teams of teachers to train Liberian teachers. The idea caught my immediately attention. Then, a few months later I heard a woman from Springfield First talk about her medical mission trip to Liberia, and as I sat there crying in the pew listening to her story, I knew God was calling me to go. But…the conference didn’t send a team that summer, and the next summer I spent every waking moment writing my AP Calculus curriculum…and the next summer I worked on my thesis for my master’s degree at UIS…and then the next summer my school asked me to chaperone a German exchange program….The timing for the trip just wasn't working out. But Liberia always stayed in the back of my mind, tucked away in the corner of my heart. I prayed for the country during the Ebola crisis. I gave scholarship donations for students going to United Methodist schools. Whenever anything came up about Liberia, I responded, “You know, my church conference sends teachers there to train other teachers – and someday I’m gonna go.”
            But life just kept rolling on – and in 2015 I moved from Springfield to Jacksonville, and I found myself in a much quieter, much slower paced chapter in my life. I had finished my master’s degree, I was settled into teaching calculus and leading as department chair, and my social scene had drastically changed with my move to Jacksonville. I had no idea what might be next for me – and that made me worry. I worried a lot – I worried that I didn’t know what goals to pursue next, what direction to take as I moved forward, and I even worried that maybe nothing new would be on the horizon for me. Eventually, I started praying, “What’s next, God? Use me – just point me in the right direction.”
            And in that season, God told me to, “Be still.” Really. Psalm 46:10 started following me around – it says, “Be still and know that I am God!” It showed up in my devotions, in sermons at church, in videos that came to my email, in my newsfeeds on Facebook and Instagram (I kept half a dozen screen shots from my phone during those few months as a reminder), we talked about it in my small group at church, and most importantly, it came up in my quiet time, alone with God – it just kept echoing in my heart. “Be still and know that I am God.” Now, remember the litany of activities and responsibilities that I rattled off earlier? The ones that kept me crazy busy while I lived in Springfield and then all of the sudden all wrapped up at the same time when I moved to Jacksonville? Yeah, I’m not good at being still, guys. I’m terrible at it. It makes me anxious and uncomfortable. But God knows I needed it, that I needed an extended Sabbath to slow down…and so I eventually started focusing more on being still and knowing that God is God, and that I am not. I kept asking God what was next for me, but I stopped trying to figure it out, stopped trying to do it all by myself. I even decided that for 2017, instead of making a New Year’s resolution, I’d focus on the word surrender with God – surrendering to His preferred future for my life instead of desperately trying to be in control when I clearly was not.
            So last spring, I found myself facing my first totally free summer vacation in six years – no grad classes to take, no curriculum to write, no exchange program to coordinate. And I was actually okay with the idea.   
            And then on March 24, I got an email from a friend of mine – well, she and I went to college together, and she goes to Springfield First, too, and we’re friends on Facebook – that kind of friend, you know? She emailed me because she’d heard about a mission trip our conference was taking to train teachers in Liberia. And even though she doesn’t know me very well and we don’t talk very often, she thought I’d be interested. Me. God put it on her heart to contact me. I read that email before going to work that day, and I remember thinking, “I’m going to Liberia this summer.”
            Over the next few days, I told my sister and a couple friends – and they all agreed right off the bat, too, that it was time for me to finally go. But my old ways of worrying came creeping back…how would I pay for the trip? How would I plan for it in just three and a half months? What if God wasn’t calling me to go on this particular trip? What if, what if, what if? So, I started praying, and I asked my small group at Springfield First to start praying, too. You know, sometimes it’s hard to hear God in the still, small voice…but it’s even harder to ignore God when He talks through your loved ones. “Go,” they said. “You know this is the right time. Get more information. If God opens the doors, you know it’s the right time to go.” It’s also hard to argue with doors that are not only opened but completely blown off their hinges – and that’s exactly what God did. In a matter of three days, I found out it wasn’t too late to sign up for the trip, that the conference offered a grant to cover half the cost, and that the next informational meeting was a just week away in Springfield.
            So I jumped – I took a huge leap of faith, and I went to the meeting, ready to go to Liberia. I sat in the room with the rest of the team who had been planning the trip for months, and I cried as Bunny showed a video of the students and teachers we partner with in Liberia. Bunny flipped on the lights and asked us to share why we wanted to go – and I could barely hold it together long enough to say, “God is calling me to go – to help these people somehow, the best way I can, as a teacher promoting education.”
            And at the end of the meeting, Bunny needed the rest of the payment for the plane ticket that day…and yet again I had to take another leap of faith. I had no doubt about God’s call – but I had planned to do some fundraising first to cover the cost, and instead I had to pay first and trust God would cover the finances, too. We all know that’s one of the hardest areas to surrender to God…but somehow I did. And God showed up in a huge way – He sent generous people my way to help me cover the rest of the trip. He even convinced the insurance company to cover all six vaccines I needed before leaving – and we all know that’s a miracle in and of itself. But that’s not the only way God sent support – so many people prayed for me and emailed me and encouraged me before leaving. That support was so incredibly valuable.
            And after three and a half months of planning and praying – far more of the latter than the former – I boarded the plane to Monrovia, Liberia, on July 10. We arrived on a Tuesday, and the next two weeks were some of the most transformational experiences of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment